Search This Blog

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Up A Tree


Denny Doherty
I have decided to call this blog “Up A Tree”, in memory of a certain morning, long ago, spent in front of Denny Doherty’s house, up a tree with Barry McGuire, watching the sun come up over Hollywood. This was sometime in 1969 (or so), and much of what happened during that time comes to me in hazy reflections.

Barry McGuire

Most of you will not know who Barry or Denny are, but it was a moment in time, when I rubbed elbows with some great and near great people. Denny Doherty earned fame when he performed with The Mamas & the Papas (he died in 2007) and Barry McGuire released the hit single “Eve of Destruction” among many others.

I will tell you how I ended Up A Tree.

The Mamas & The Papas
After The Mamas & the Papas stopped performing, Denny was looking for a new ensemble. Apparently he would hang out wherever there were singers. My friend, Mike Reilly, had met Denny when he worked for Jimmy Webb and had formed a sort of drum circle for singers at his house. Denny would come by and we would all gather around and sing. Everybody adding a harmony or counterpoint. I had a pretty decent voice and could hold a key. To be perfectly honest, I would never have become a great artist. I really didn’t have the chops. But I wrote a song or two and could carry a tune, so I imagined (the key word), that I might someday be part of some group.

It was one night at a party at Denny’s house that I found myself up a tree with Barry McGuire. Not really much to tell. It was a magical night, with a sunrise ending. Then we came down and went about our business.


But, on looking back at the years I spent in Hollywood, I am amazed at the brushes I had with some really amazing people. I was not of much consequence, myself, but I managed to hang out with quite a crowd. I will have to tell you how I met Mike Reilly, since he really became a key in getting me invited to Hollywood and putting me in touch with that marvelous group.

1 comment:

  1. I knew both of those guys. Denny and I even shared the same woman but not at the same time. Barry and I shared a few illegal substances back then.

    ReplyDelete