Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

A Return Visit

Staying at Kent's house, with Ginger was a little challenging. Kent had continued studying with the Witnesses and attending meetings, while I had gone backwards.

One day, when Kent's friends came by, they invited me to a meeting. Well, I had nothing to be afraid of, did I? So I accepted. An the way to that meeting, I realized that all of the things that I had studied before, from the Bible, were actually true. I also made a decision to turn around and continue in the course that Kent had already entered into. That meant big changes were needed.

The first big change that would have to be made was becoming morally responsible and that didn't include living with someone out of wedlock. When I returned home and told Ginger that we could stay together, but that we would no longer be sharing a bed together.... well stuff hit the fan. Knives were involved. No blood was shed, but needless to say it didn't end well. Ginger went her way, and I continued on.

One things the Witnesses do, all over the world, it go from door to door, talk to people and offer free home Bible studies. It wasn't long before Kent and I had made enough changes to qualify for this type of service. We had stopped taking drugs and cleaned up our act in many other ways.

When I started Going to the Kingdom Hall, I looked like this.


Later, after I made some changes and started going from door to door, I looked like this.

Me with a friend, Ray

 I remember the funny looks I would get from people I would meet at the doors who looked the way I had looked and telling them, "Yes I used to do drugs, but the Bible helped me see the need to change." They would look at me and wouldn't believe I had ever done drugs.

When I had left for New York, and the 2 girls came back for another visit, they ran into Gordon Grant, who invited them in and talked. He would eventually start a Bible study, but had difficulty making any real progress. I was invited to go along on the study, and when I showed up, looking like I did, he was flabergasted. He called another friend of ours, Daryl Burch and told him that I had become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. When I visited him, all the excuses that he had been using were things that I had taught him, when we lived together. They all melted away.

Eventually we all progressed and came to dedicate ourselves and presented ourselves for baptism. I always smile, since I forgot my swim trunks, Gordy had to go first, and then I switched into his wet trunks and got baptized, myself. The swim trunks got baptized twice. Here I am coming out of the water.

And so ends "Up In A Tree in Hollywood". I wasn't up a tree, anymore. I was on a different path, one that I have kept to  for over 45 years. It was quite a trip in Hollywood, but it's been quite a trip, since.

As a little going away present, I give to you a few favorite photos.

Me, At an early age. Probably on the way to a black sand beach.


Me and Lina Saylor my dancing partner
1963
Vietnam 1966-67
Hollywood 1968-1971
Gordon Grant 1972
Engagement Party 1972

Wedding July 28, 1973

Made up with Dad on our honeymoon trip to Northern California

With new Wife Denise and her mom, Mimi
Of course, Denise and I have had many adventures in many countries, but that is a subject for another blog. This is Up A Tree in Hollywood signing off.


No comments:

Post a Comment