Search This Blog

Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Music Room

The music room on the second floor of our little home, was a great place to hang out. When Jimmy was home, this was where he would be found, bent over the grand piano, composing and singing away.

There was also a large wooden box of finely sifted brownie ingredients (if you catch my drift), with a rolling machine and a box of zig zags. I never actually knew how that box got filled, and never asked. It was always there and anybody could partake. So, yes, the music room was a great place to hang out, even if you didn't do music.

It was one of those lazy days, when I was just hanging out, when Jimmy was working on a song. He sang in his great country voice and the bridge had a really piercing, rhythmic beat. He was deep into his music and I doubt whether he knew I was there or not, but I will never forget the first time I heard "Witchita Lineman", which would later be recorded by Glenn Campbell and was on the charts, both pop and country for many weeks. It would go gold in 1969, the following year.

I am sure that there were many more stories to be told of the music room, but that is just the one I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment