Search This Blog

Friday, December 1, 2017

2001 A Space Odyssey

Back when I lived in Hollywood, the Pantages theatre was still a movie theater. Nowadays it is a splendid venue featuring great acts and broadway shows. But even back then, it was a grand building.

It was the release of 2001 A Space Odyssey that brought the crew to the Pantages. Everyone from the house went. I can remember Bob and Jimmy and no doubt others. We were well fortified with brownies. Well fortified.


There are lots of things about the night I don't remember:
1) How we got there
2) How we got home
3) The movie.

But there was a moment that night I will never forget.

We had come into the theater lobby after purchasing our tickets. We were a glorious crew, all decked out in our hippy finery. Long hair flowing, I had on my blue hand embroidered shirt that I usually wore (did it myself). Beards, mustaches, mutton chops abounded. We were Hollywood's finest.

We all went up to the upper level, to get seats in the balcony. We were browniefide.  As we were walking up the balcony aisle, I remember looking down at one of the attendees, who leaned over to her companion, as she looked directly at me, and said,

"That one really looks bad...."

Immediately my sense of elation turned to rank paranoia. And I sat for the rest of the movie unable to move. I wasn't even able to go get refreshments (as would have been my place). I just sat and knew that everyone was looking and judging. Of course they weren't, but that's paranoia for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment